Course costs

Your course costs can be made via the Australian Government's HECS-HELP loan scheme^ or by our subject-by-subject payment plan. This means you can start your course and make repayments in a manner that suits your financial situation. If you would like to discuss the available payment methods, please contact our friendly Student Admissions Team on 1300 720 648.

For all our IT and business qualifications, you will be enrolled in the bachelor's degree of your choice. Depending on your progress upon exiting your course, you will be awarded with either a La Trobe University applied diploma, associate degree, or bachelor's degree.

IT courses

  • Applied Information Technology
  • Applied Cloud Technology
  • Cybersecurity Planned launch soon
  Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Total
Qualification earned Diploma Associate degree Bachelor's degree  
You pay $8,021 * $8,021 * $8,021 * $24,063 *

Business courses

  • Applied Business
  • Applied Business (Marketing major)
  • Applied Business (Management major)
  Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Total
Qualification earned Diploma Associate degree Bachelor's degree  
You pay $14,630 * $14,630 * $14,630 * $43,890 *

Payment methods

Your course costs can be made via the Australian Government's HECS-HELP loan scheme^ or by Didasko's subject-by-subject payment plan.

HECS-HELP^ Subject-by-subject
Australian citizen
Permanent resident -
International -


To be eligible for HECS-HELP, you must be able to study in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).

The government supplies an assistance package which varies on the course you wish to undertake and the remainder of the yearly course fees are covered under the HECS-HELP scheme. This allows you to commence your studies with no upfront fees.


Pay for your course in smaller instalments that cover subjects in the order you study them. Full-time students will be required to pay for 2 subjects every 3 months. Part-time students will be required to pay for 1 subject every 3 months. Every 3 months you have the option to change from full-time to part-time studies or vice-versa.

Example: You are a full-time student studying the Bachelor of Applied Information Technology and your student contribution is $8,021 per year. This yearly amount is for a total of 8 subjects you will complete over the year. You will be required to pay for 2 subjects every 3 months. Your student contribution for the period will be $2,005 (2 subjects at $1,003 each).

*The University reserves the right to vary fees on an annual basis. Fees will not normally rise above 7 per cent per annum for continuing students. Should the University decide to increase its fees, that increase will take effect on 1 January of the following year. While every effort has been made by La Trobe University to ensure that the information on this website is up to date and accurate, La Trobe University does not give any guarantees, undertakings or warranties in relation to the accuracy, completeness and up to date status of the above information. Course costs may vary depending on elective subjects chosen.

†Eligibility criteria applies. CSP available to Australian citizens and Permanent Residents only.

^Subject to qualifying for the Australian Government CSP Contribution and meeting HECS criteria. Available to Australian citizens only.

Frequently asked questions

What is the student contribution?

This is the amount you will need to pay after government contributions have been allowed for. Depending on your citizenship, this amount and method of repayment will vary. Refer to the pricing tables on this page for amounts.

What are HECS-HELP loans?

HECS-HELP is a loan from the Commonwealth that helps eligible students pay their tuition fees for diploma and degree courses undertaken at an approved provider.

  1. HECS-HELP assistance is a loan from the Commonwealth;
  2. the loan will remain as a personal debt obligation until it is repaid to the Commonwealth;
  3. the loan may affect (by reducing) the person’s take home (after tax) wage or salary until the debt is repaid, and may affect the borrowing capacity of the person until the debt is repaid to the Commonwealth;
  4. census date(s) will apply;
  5. a student may cancel their enrolment by:
    1. withdrawing from each unit of study on or before the census date; and
    2. in accordance with the provider’s withdrawal policy;
  6. withdrawal will result in the student:
    1. not incurring a HECS-HELP debt; and/or
    2. receiving a refund for any upfront tuition fee payments made on or before the census date; and
  7. a student may wish to seek independent financial advice prior to applying for a HECS-HELP loan.

For more information on HECS-HELP loans and Commonwealth Supported Places, see the Australian Government Study Assist website.

Am I eligible for a HECS-HELP loan?

Depending on the course you are studying, you may be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan.

To be eligible for HECS-HELP, you must:

  1. be studying in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP);
  2. be an Australian citizen; or
  3. be a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements; or
  4. be a permanent humanitarian visa holder;
  5. be enrolled in each unit at your university by the census date;
  6. meet the relevant HECS-HELP residency requirements;
  7. read the HECS-HELP and Commonwealth Supported Places information booklet; and
  8. submit a valid Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form by the census date (or earlier administrative date) to your university.
What are Commonwealth Supported Places?

Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is a course subsidised by the Federal Government so that students are only required to pay a ‘student contribution’ amount, rather than the total tuition fees.

What if I am a Permanent Resident?

As a Permanent Resident, you are eligible for the Government’s CSP (Commonwealth Supported Place) funding. CSP is a Government grant to assist with your study. You do not have to pay this back to the Government. However, any shortfall between the CSP grant and the total course cost must be self-funded, as you are not eligible for HECS-HELP.

For more information on Commonwealth Supported Places, see the Australian Government Study Assist website.

When do I start paying for my course?

You have to start repaying your HECS-HELP debt through the taxation system once your repayment income is above the compulsory repayment threshold, even if you are still studying. The compulsory repayment threshold is adjusted each year.

Repayment income is calculated from the amounts given on your income tax return for:

  • your taxable income;
  • reportable fringe benefits (reported on your payment summary);
  • total net investment loss (which includes net rental loss);
  • reportable super contributions; and
  • exempt foreign employment income amounts.

For more information about repayment thresholds, see the Study Assist website.

Get your free career pack now

Career Guide. Interactive course samples. Pre-enrolment assessment.

By submitting this form, you agree to our use of your personal information in accordance with our Privacy Statement. This includes your consent for us to contact you to discuss education opportunities.